Paint scheme...

This is where I will make periodic entries regarding the build progress of my kit. I will post photos, and discuss work completed or problems encountered.
MikeFairbanks
Site Admin

Paint scheme...

Post by MikeFairbanks »

Well I think I've settled on a scheme for the Kitfox. It's so far from what I had originally thought I would do, colors and all. Anyway, my daughter has been helping me with different ideas, and this last weekend the thought of the scheme on the first model airplane I ever flew back in 1975 popped into my head.
Cox_PT-19.jpg
The Cox PT-19 is where it all started... I got this for Christmas in 1975 while visiting my uncle John in Phoenix AZ. I flew it so much during the week following Christmas that I melted the nose off the fuselage and the engine departed! The fuselage was replaced and I found it fared much better in the cooler Illinois weather. I still have one to this day... although it's just hanging up in my shop now.

Anyway, I wanted something that would be highly visible, and kept coming back to Cub Yellow... and then I thought of the PT-19. I sent my daughter a couple of pics and she whipped this up for me. Other than adding the stars from the Alaska flag to the side of the fuselage I tried to keep it true to the PT-19.
Kitfox-PT19.jpg
Here's a full scale PT-19 just for reference...
FullScale_PT-19.jpg
MikeFairbanks
Site Admin

Re: Paint scheme...

Post by MikeFairbanks »

I got a big box today...
IMG_2213.JPG
IMG_2214.JPG
This is the Oratex 6000 that I will be using to cover the airplane. The blue is a bit darker than the blue on a PT-19, it's Corsair blue... but it is the closest they had. The yellow, Signal yellow, is very close. And the white of course is for the rudder, will will also get red stripes painted over the white.